Microblogging: the graffiti of cyberspace?

13.05.2009 | Author: Eric Reiss
The FatDUX site is overdue for an overhaul. Microblogging will be one of the new features. Our Duckmaster, Andrea Resmini, has asked that I work out some guidelines for the FatDUX family.

As practiced today, I think microblogging is being abused by self-promoters and debased by people who have absolutely nothing worthwhile to say. This is a shame - microblogging has great potential as a communicative concept.

What is microblogging?
For those of you who aren’t familiar with “microblogging,” it’s based on short (max. 140 character) text messages, sent to a group of predetermined subscribers, often via a mobile phone. Twitter is the application of choice (but Jaiku, Qaiku, and Plurk are also popular). Facebook and other social networking sites have similar functionality, generally termed “status updates.”

“Eric doesn’t get it”
I’ve been accused of not understanding the value of Twitter. And perhaps my critics are justified. On the other hand, let’s not confuse my personal dislike for the way Twitter is used and for the application itself, which I think is great.

Here’s my situation – I generally keep pretty busy and don't need microblogging to combat boredom. But most “tweets” add little value to my life. For example, travel is stressful enough without having to hear folks on Twitter announce “In a taxi on the way to the airport.”, “TSA folks can be such pricks” or “My flight is delayed”.

I’m not very interested in the doings of one’s brood either: “What’s suddenly wrong with Cheerios for breakfast?” “Just picked up the kids from school”, “Little Sarah won’t go to bed.”

On the other hand, I enjoy the backchat (backchannel chatter – and I don't necessarily mean negative remarks) at conferences. This is the kind of stuff that does provide me with vicarious value. The blow-by-blow reporting from presentations-in-progress is particularly useful. (Even so, I dislike the behind-your-back sniping, “This panel just crashed and burned. I’m outta here.”)

I realize these are my own views and that other folks probably love gossipy tweets. (Hmm…did Andy Warhol’s “fifteen minutes of fame” just get reduced to 15 seconds?) But please give me better mechanisms to filter out the chirpchaff and give me the warblewheat. Happily, Qaiku is doing this by encouraging thread-based conversations. Twitter lags sadly behind in this regard.

Signal to noise
Let’s face it, some folks take pride in posting 5,000 - 20,000 updates (tweets) a year. But do you really want to receive all of them? Some come from twitterholics who feel the urge to make noise. Others are incorrigible self-promoters who think noise somehow equates with thought leadership. Please, work to improve your signal-to-noise ratio. The medium is NOT the message - don’t confuse the two.

There are also the self-promoters who are merely people collectors, such as actor Ashton Kutcher (first to gain a million Twitter followers). But with fairly little to say, I can’t imagine his following will last; if there is any long-term impact, it will probably be because he was able to get new users to sign up for the Twitter service. Oprah Winfrey falls kind of in the same category - I guess followers get a lift from Oprah's deep philosophical missives like "Hey tweeters, hope you're loving your Sunday as much as I am."

Twitter as a debate forum?
The news media, CNN in particular, have been good about using microblogging as a debate forum. Since many full-scale blogs are also debate fora, this activity would seem to be part of a natural evolution. (CNN competed with Kutcher in the race to 1 million followers).

The problem is that like all politically heated environments, microbloggers are already subject to bullying, online threats – and offline violence. The debate rages as to whether user-based moderation of such discussions works.

In the recent South African election, the ANC used Twitter fairly effectively as a debate forum – a good gimmick in a country where text messaging has exploded in recent years. For an excellent account of the election activities and some good discussion of the pros and cons of political twittering, check out the superb Voice Of Africa blog.

One of the more interesting points related to the limits to message size:
“But, does [Twitter] add value in this case?  Most people in South Africa are probably familiar with the ANC’s policy positions already.  A 140 character recap of the standard positions (140 characters is about 1 sentence) can’t really tell you anything deeper.”

Nevertheless, the medium does seem to lend itself nicely to discussions of current events – even on a very local level (a conference, for example).

Keep it short
Keeping messages to under 140 characters does have one key advantage: it forces people to get to the point. This assumes they actually have something to say.

The French philosopher and mathematician, Blaise Pascal (of triangle fame) once remarked, “Je n’ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parceque je n’ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte.” (I made this letter longer than usual because I didn’t have time to make it shorter.)

If people want to be true thought leaders, my advice would be to tweet less and think more.

So, when the FatDUXlings start to microblog, our guidelines will be simple: say something relevant to our fields of interest, say it gracefully, say it in as few words as possible. And stop.

Don’t tweet when you’re mad or drunk or…
At a conference recently, someone Twittered “I think Eric Reiss just lied to me during his presentation.” Since I hadn’t lied, I was momentarily offended by this tweetshot until I realized it was juvenile self-promotion. But, I’m both thick-skinned and ethical, which helps me ignore the slings and arrows of outrageous Twitterers.

Rule Number One of Twittering: Don’t tweet when you’re mad, drunk, or under the influence of your own ego. Stupid comments live forever. And although microblogging can be fantastic, reducing this elegant concept to that of mere electronic graffiti is truly a waste.

Diamonds…and tweets…are forever
Here are some publicly available musings:

“On April 19th, I made bread.”

“XX got me pregnant.”

Today, almost identical comments can be found in two places: on Twitter and the walls of Pompeii. (the name of the purported father-to-be changed from Atimetus to Dave.)

Caveat Twitterati: you never know when or by whom your musings will be seen. So say something worthwhile.

pompeii

Graffiti at Pompeii.

A visit to the Reichstag in Berlin
Sir Norman Foster, the British architect, reworked the Reichstag (parliament) in Berlin, which reopened in 1999. It had been abandoned since 1933 - the Nazis burned it as an excuse to arrest Communists and other political opponents.

After the Battle of Berlin in April/May 1945, Soviet soldiers “decorated” the surviving walls of the burned and bombed hulk. Sir Norman felt the graffiti was significant in terms of the building’s history and preserved it (after translators censored the obscene comments).

Twitteren erwachen: do you want to go down in history as a social commentator or as a vandal? Stealing my time is vandalism.

reichstag

Graffiti at the Reichstag.

A visit to Charlottenlund Station outside Copenhagen
The train station in Charlottenlund, Denmark, just north of Copenhagen, features a lot of graffiti. Not gang-tags or spray-painted innertube script. Rather, these are names and dates written in pencil, which have surprisingly survived for many decades.

Charlottenlund Station in Denmark, built in 1895.

station

Graffiti at Charlottenlund Station

nielsen

Ms. Nielsen's message has survived an entire century.

In the last photo, you’ll see a young lady’s tag from October 1909. It is slightly obscured by a modern billboard. In a few weeks, the advertisement will have changed. But Ms. Nielsen’s tag will live on. I wonder if she could have imagined that her spontaneous scrawl would survive an entire century? Or be blogbeamed around the world?

Twitter-folk: if you want your name to live forever, choose a resilient medium. Although pencil on brick sometimes works, ideas are truly immortal.

More ideas, please.

[recaptcha_form]

73 Comments »

1. The condo’s facilities provide full family...

Comment by coches de segunda mano en malaga - 00:00 01.01.0001

Comment by coches de segunda mano malaga - 00:00 01.01.0001
  3. A microblog differs from a traditional blog in that its content is typically smaller in both actual and aggregated file size. Microblogs "allow users to exchange small elements of content such as short sentences, individual images, or video links".

Comment by online - 00:00 01.01.0001
  4. The top five lease organizations claim it is industry share; yet can five organizations be getting while nobody drops share.

Comment by megapolis cheats - 00:00 01.01.0001
  5. I think I will get that phrase put on a T shirt, because this post refutes that statement completely.

Comment by coches segunda mano malaga - 00:00 01.01.0001
  6. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones.
    I have added to my favorites. Thank You.

Comment by Diseño Web Bilbao - 00:00 01.01.0001
  7. I have been asked this question by lease organization professionals, private value finance traders, industry experts, journal marketers and traders. The top five lease organizations claim it is industry share; yet can five organizations be getting while nobody drops share.

Comment by dota 2 mmr boosting - 00:00 01.01.0001
  8. Noriko, wonderful on your an impressive birkin! I've been ingesting the posts about your birkin study and am glad it's after buying over! www.bages.us

Comment by Kath - 00:00 01.01.0001
  9. In most convenience absolutely everyone are a good looking rude, well not rude but not 100% instructive.But I've never been in a a high priced store like LV so maybe its a first-class there.

Comment by CSTTH - 00:00 01.01.0001
  10. Atlas Copco’s Air compressor Strategy company place provides commercial converters, gas and process converters and expanders, air and gas therapy devices and air management techniques. It has a international support network and offers specialised lease solutions.

Comment by רופא פסיכיאטר - 00:00 01.01.0001
  11. This is the kind of stuff that does provide me with vicarious value.

Comment by supplements - 00:00 01.01.0001
  12. I even so am not able to consider my eyes. I so want these items at any advantage. With this i can price my battery with no receiving any ache.

Comment by website - 00:00 01.01.0001
  13. Id really love to stay around this website and be a part of where I can get a lot of valuable and beneficial advice from other experienced people that share this information.

Comment by tavlor - 00:00 01.01.0001
  14. es, I think our immortality in today's world will last much longer and clearer than your grandfather's because of the digital age that we live in. Recordings of life in the past were recorded on things that have much shorter life spans than say a disk, o

Comment by sohbet odalari - 00:00 01.01.0001
  15. On the other hand, I enjoy the backchat (backchannel chatter – and I don't necessarily mean negative remarks) at conferences. This is the kind of stuff that does provide me with vicarious value.

Comment by rp gratuit - 00:00 01.01.0001
  16. Great post Eric. This must be one of the first actual Twitter-like clients: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charliegower/3526331223/
    And I can almost guarantee you Eric, that none of the statements says “What’s suddenly wrong with Cheerios for breakfast?" :)

Comment by Frederik Myhr - 12:22 15.05.2009
  17. Well, I can't say that this is the most resilient medium, but I am very glad to be typing this is response to a most worthwhile message from you noting the worthwhileness of all of our messages! Would that I could carve this into stone, beneath yours carved in stone, naturally!

Comment by Gale Langseth - 16:02 06.06.2009
  18. Oh, Eric, you just don't get it!!! I think I will get that phrase put on a T shirt, because this post refutes that statement completely.

Comment by Matthew - 22:35 20.06.2009
  19. O’Donnell is already mom to four older kids: Parker, 17, Chelsea, 15, Blake, 13, and 10-year-old Vivienne. She split from wife Kelli Carpenter in 2007 after nearly a decade together. Dakota is the first child for Rounds.

Comment by Beats by Dre - 09:29 13.01.2013
  20. Future residents are within a short driving distance to Ang Ko Kio Hub and Compass Point. With such a short drive to the city area as well as the orchard and bugis area, entertainment for your love ones and family will come at a stone’s throw away.

Comment by Ang Mo Kio Cluster House - 03:51 30.03.2013
  21. Ecopolitan EC has full and unique facilities, which includes a guard house, clubhouse, Function Room & Indoor Gym Tennis Court, 50m Freeform Pool Pool Deck, Wading Pool, Splash Pool & Family Pool Jacuzzi & Hydro Spa, BBQ Area Dining and Play Fountain, Fitness Alcove & Children’s Playground and Garden Trail. The condo’s facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Punggol.

Comment by Ecopolitan - 10:28 25.04.2013
  22. The condo’s facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Jurong East.

Comment by J Gateway - 04:30 16.05.2013
  23. Well,I guess Immortality in today's world will not last much longer and clearer than your grandfather's because of the digital age that we live in.It is the transformation from ice age to technology age.

Comment by Moneywarehouse reviews - 08:16 22.05.2013
  24. Coral Edge Residences will be accessible with Punggol MRT Station as well as Punggol Bus Interchange. It is also right beside Tampines Expressway(TPE). Coral Edge Residences is also near to Marina Country Club, Sengkang Riverside Park and Sheng Siong hypermart in Punggol Central.
    Thx

Comment by Coral Edge EC - 14:13 02.06.2013

25. This blog is truly a bullion pit. I have been self-pitying on this for quite a little bit and here I am reading about it! I will in fact try these tips and let you know how they work out.

Comment by Exam 70-646 - 08:26 04.06.2013
  26. The condo’s facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Bugis.
    Several buses are available near Rocher Road and Beach Road along with shopping centers and restaurants.

Comment by DUO - Click Here - 09:33 06.06.2013
  27. Lush Acres EC has full and unique facilities, which includes a guard house, clubhouse, Function Room & Indoor Gym Tennis Court, 50m Freeform Pool Pool Deck, Wading Pool, Splash Pool & Family Pool Jacuzzi & Hydro Spa, BBQ Area Dining and Play Fountain, Fitness Alcove & Children’s Playground and Garden Trail.

Comment by Sengkang EC - 06:44 18.06.2013
  28. I am very glad to be typing this is response to a most worthwhile message from you noting the worthwhileness of all of our messages! Would that I could carve this into stone, beneath yours carved in stone, naturally!

Comment by how to use Ecolab - 14:19 24.06.2013
  29. I guess Immortality in today's world will not last much longer and clearer than your grandfather's because of the digital age that we live in.It is the transformation from ice age to technology age.

Comment by Top Technical Universities in USA - 07:31 25.06.2013
  30. The condo’s facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Bartley.
    Several buses are available near Bartley Road and Upper Paya Lebar Road along with shopping centers and restaurants.

Comment by Former Tai Keng Court - Here - 03:33 04.07.2013
  31. Skypark Residences will be accessible with Sembawang MRT station & Sembawang Bus Interchange. It is also near to Vista Point Shopping Mall, Causeway Point Shopping Mall, Cold Storage, Shop N Save, and many more.

Comment by Skypark Residences - 17:49 10.07.2013
  32. Sea Horizon EC facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Pasir Ris.

Comment by Sea Horizon details - 04:00 17.07.2013
  33. I guess Immortality in today's world will not last much longer and clearer than your grandfather's

Comment by ateş ve su buz devri - 12:53 20.07.2013
  34. This blog is truly a bullion pit. I have been self-pitying on this for quite a little bit and here I am reading about it!

Comment by kafa topu - 12:55 20.07.2013
  35. I guess Twitter is the best debate forum I've ever worked on and I don't think that no other forum can compete to this gigantic forum features where people share their views globally.

Comment by Steampunk dog - 06:49 25.07.2013
  36. You definitely put a new revolve on a topic thats been graphical nearly for life.DEMI

Comment by lampe de blanchiment dentaire - 04:34 12.08.2013
  37. great eco site. it is always good to check it out

Comment by ecopolitan ec - 12:52 10.09.2013
  38. great home by the sea. do not miss

Comment by vue 8 residence - 09:51 11.09.2013
  39. Is this really true that the FatDUX site is overdue for an overhaul and microblogging will be one of the new features?But canyou please explain microblogging some more detail?

Comment by Reverse Phone Lookup - 19:48 11.09.2013
  40. Microblogging: the graffiti of cyberspace? - I support to this statement....my answer is YES.

Comment by Birthday Gifts for kids - 14:15 19.09.2013
  41. I adore your content about FATDUX. You make it entertaining and you still managed to keep it smart.

Comment by Convocco - 14:17 19.09.2013
  42. great inflora condo site. worth bookmarking.

Comment by inflora - 07:07 09.10.2013
  43. great home by the sea

Comment by sea horizon - 11:49 09.10.2013
  44. Good to know about the micro blogging.First time, I got the what is the exactly this process ? Please share me more details, where I can used this.

Comment by convocco - 05:15 25.10.2013
  45. Microblogging is the best way to share the idea in simple way/If you have new concept about this, feel free to share here and update me.

Comment by Ignite Stream Energy - 05:16 25.10.2013
  46. Well Its like this I think it has a very complex workaround on the page's serp.

Comment by All State Van Lines Relocation - 18:05 11.02.2014
  47. Outstanding way to drop some weight is alternative any kind of harmful cooking oils you utilize using a more healthy alternate. A more healthy cooking oil would be olive oil and/or canola oils.

Comment by www.mskqsz.com - 06:46 28.02.2014
  48. cyberspace oh.!

Comment by sky habitat - 07:29 03.04.2014
  49. graffiti of cyberspace. wow. we have graffiti on walls here.

Comment by puteri cove residences - 07:30 03.04.2014
  50. Great blog and I love what you have to say and I think I will tweet this out to my friends so they can check it out as well. I like what you have to say

Comment by the rise @ oxley - 12:17 02.05.2014
  51. hivizag

Comment by hivizag - 09:42 06.05.2014
  52. If you are looking for the easiest way to generate traffics, you will need to consider writing SEO articles for your website. Basically,

Comment by LinkedIn - 10:01 15.05.2014
  53. With well-known songs like "What I Like about You" from the Nineteen-eighties, the team has been known to get a guest artist overall look here and there from megactor, Arthur Depp.

Comment by search - 07:38 05.06.2014
  54. So the main aspect here is that outstanding organization activities need to be increased by the whole market.

Comment by criminal defense lawyer - 07:29 06.06.2014
  55. Hello,i really like your website design... its great... <a href="http://toppetroleumengineeringschools.org"> petroleum engineering schools </a>

Comment by petroleum engineering schools - 19:00 31.07.2014
  56. I know — you just want to have a awesome, soothing meals, and you don’t want to have to encourage your kids into consuming something beyond their collection. Please think twice and analyze all your choices before you sin.

Comment by find more info - 13:57 03.08.2014
  57. Which tended to make them somewhat unwieldy. Also, some of the entries were more than one sentence long. But the winning story, by Cassie Gonzales, is right up my street: sinister, funny, suggestive, and very, very simple. Excellent.

Comment by nytimes.com - 14:55 04.08.2014
  58. “Ed Hart is that man I think Gov. Beshear has performed state policies enough with this recreation area. It needs to be started and it needs to be finished, now.”

Comment by writing about the finest wines - 08:36 05.08.2014
  59. However, I knowledgeable we did not key in on some of the further the procedure of market issues in regards to strategy and management.

Comment by including their website - 14:55 06.08.2014
  60. Earlier this season, Little and next door neighbor Darlene Master assured the Louisville City Air Contamination Management Region to analyze examples from their soot-covered houses, which came returning beneficial for fly ash.

Comment by East Fifth Street - 09:22 07.08.2014
  61. So if you have proved helpful on a development website, personal job, etc., in which copper was thieved from, let me know. Please e-mail me at candace look ahead to listening to from you.

Comment by CEG TEK on CNN - 08:35 08.08.2014
  62. Another benefit of using these pages, aside from capturing the data, is that most software should capture visitor data and segment it for you, so you know the exact source of your visitors and new leads.

Comment by including FreedomPop's website - 16:44 11.08.2014
  63. I’m really fascinated by your impact of the impermanence of renovation, both real and mental. I don’t think I designed to add that factor in, but it certainly seems like an undercurrent in my emotional storage of that efforts and place.

Comment by circus school london - 11:16 22.08.2014
  64. Hi top information in your website and content is updated also. good

Comment by fab turbo review - 15:09 24.08.2014
  65. but it certainly seems like an undercurrent in my emotional storage of that efforts and place.

Comment by victoria secret uk - 05:50 15.09.2014
  66. but it certainly seems like an undercurrent in my emotional storage of that efforts and place.

Comment by blazer pas cher - 08:46 15.09.2014
  67. Le mensonge n’a jamais été notre compagnon de route. Nos rapports sont fusionnels. Elle sent mes reculades.

Comment by bitcoin hosting - 09:49 17.09.2014
  68. However, I knowledgeable we did not key in on some of the further the procedure of market issues in regards to strategy and management.

Comment by fat loss factor - 06:10 22.09.2014
  69. I began to think about how our preservation of memory has evolved over the years and considered how memory is becoming increasingly virtual (with even its meaning changing somewhat).

Comment by click to investigate - 16:06 23.09.2014
  70. Initial brainstorming at Granta on how to visualize memory concluded that the cover itself needed an industrial veneer, something textured, aged and primed with history and wisdom. Creating a cover for this issue seemed the ideal opportunity to produce something in homage to antiquated and largely obsolete processes.

Comment by click to investigate - 16:06 23.09.2014
  71. I will be interested in more similar topics. i see you got really very useful topics , i will be always checking your blog thanks.

Comment by Boost Hack - 12:28 22.10.2014
  72. Learn more about the progression of Pathfinder's safe abortion work abroad and explore some of the most significant US policy decisions on international abortion work, including the institution of the Global Gag Rule and the Helms Amendment.

Comment by first date - 08:33 27.11.2014
  73. very good for me to brainstorm ideas out daily.

Comment by The Terrace EC - 06:18 19.12.2014